Priscilla H. Ballou

Roy wrote:

> That it....curiosity it what makes people study science.And it my case
> led me to chemistry and ever since then I was not always asking people
> for explanation but have to seek the answer personally by literature
> search, experiment,mathematical analysis etc.
>
> Keep in mind....
> A child hood interest on a particular line is a good indicator what
> type of profession it will enter when they grow up.
> I hope that she will be as inquisitive as me when I was a kid and not
> just want to experience things due to novelty.

<grin> Emma's dad went to MIT and is interested in everything. He's
currently playing a role as a science and tech resource at her
elementary school and taught her fourth grade class's unit on
electricity. (He's an electrical engineer by training.) He and I both
have encouraged Emma to be curious about the natural world and how
things work since she was a tiny kid. She was hatching butterflies and
looking at bugs through a magnifying glass at an early age. Lately
she's shown a lot of interest in rocks and minerals, although I'm not
sure if her interest is scientific or aesthetic (probably both). She is
wildly artistic and won a city-wide prize for poetry in second grade.
We have no idea what she'll end up doing with her life, although she's
insistent these days that she's going to be a fashion designer. ;-)
Heck, she's 9!

Priscilla, proud aunt