Sheldon

Dog3 wrote:

> This thread has me questioning a few things with the deli I buy my

kosher
> food at. I am not Jewish but about 1/2 my friends are and I am

invited to
> their homes on holdays. I love kosher food. I buy kosher salami,

kosher
> bologna, kosher potato salad and lots of other things. Now I wonder

if what
> I am buying is really kosher. I love the taste of kosher foods. The

deli is
> called Kopperman's Deli and the other is the Posh Knosh. Posh Knosh

is in
> Clayton not to far from my house. Kopperman's is in my old

neighborhood.
> Both have been around for decades.
>
> Michael

If it's a Certified Kosher deli then what's purchased/eaten there is
kosher. But once the product leaves the premises all bets are off.
The kasruth laws must be adhered to for the products to remain
kosher... once the products are comingled with non-kosher products
and/or brought into non-kosher premises then the integrity of what
constitutes kosher has been irreparably violated. Of course this in no
way suggests you still can't enjoy the products. The kosher salami
from the typical stupidmarket is not truly kosher anyway because
typically it's kept in too close proximity with similar non-kosher
products, and those who do keep kosher don't buy there. But those
kosher products are purchased and enjoyed by many who could care less
about keeping kosher per se. To be kosher it's not enough that say
kosher salami be made Certifiably Kosher, it must also be handled
accordingly at all times after it leaves the factory. For many the
kosher deli is not good enough, the ultra ortodox don't buy there, they
purchase their kosher provions from a kosher butcher shop, and usually
a special kosher butcher shop, Certified Glatt Kosher. Btw, other than
philosophical there is no logical reason for "kosher"... and everyone
who adheres does so at their own personal level... keeping kosher is
difficult and is purposely designed to be difficult, if for no other
reason but to make the eating aspect of ones life so tough that all
other terrible things that befall one seem trivial in comparison.
Michael, if you converted to Judaism and kept kosher then all the other
aspects of your life would seem so much easier and perhaps then you'd
not be such a drama queen. <G> Just a thought.

Sheldon