Mike Avery

Her Subj. wrote:

>I am not sure what the problem is --I don't have a thermometer, so I
>took it out of the oven at the suggest 20 minutes and it was all cooked
>inside, however, the outside was not completely "brown" as described by
>the author. More like a dark tan.

There are several possible issues here. One is that poolish is best
used after it just subsides. That is, it rises to a peak and then
starts to collapse. You can see contractions, or wrinkles, in its
surface. I think you let the poolish work way too long. Usually 12 to
18 hours is about right. You were up around fifty some odd. You risk
getting some serious off flavors.

Also, on the thermometer front, you should get two. One is a quick
reading thermometer to check the temp of ingredients, doughs, poolishes,
starters, roasts, and loaves of bread. You should also get an oven
thermometer. It is amazing how far off many oven thermostats are. And,
when you get an oven thermometer, you need to check how long it takes
you oven to get to the desired temperature, how far off it is for
different temperatures you use, and how well it holds temperatures.

I have found that oven thermostats are often off by different amounts at
different temperatures, so it can be off 25 degrees at 350 but 100 at
450. And, many ovens don't hold temperatures well.

If your oven doesn't hold a temperature well, or if your thermostat is
off, clean your oven and then make sure that the thermostat's sensor is
not touching the wall of the oven.

Finally, most of bread's flavor is in the crust. If it is too light, or
too thin, you won't get ful flavor. Many Americans are afraid to let
the bread get too dark. Many more are afraid to buy bread if the crust
is too dark. Both are missing out on much of the greatest joys of bread.

Good luck,
Mike