zxcvbob

Charles Gifford wrote:
> "cathy" > wrote in message
>
>>When I was a kid the only salami we ever bought was Hebrew National
>>kosher salami.
>>
>>When you go to the deli counter in the market these days there is a
>>mind-boggling array of salamis <sp?> and sausages. Does anyone know
>>what type/style of salami/sausage would be closest in flavor and
>>texture to a kosher salami?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Cathy

> Would not a kosher salami of any type taste the same as any salami of that
> same type? It may be kosher but that has little or nothing to do with it's
> taste or texture, non? I assume, also, that a HB salami would be of a
> generic "American" salami nature rather than a specific type of salami.
>
> Charliam

A kosher salami would not have any pork, organ meats, nor milk products
added. All of those are commonly added to salami -- they're not bad
things, but they are not kosher. They all affect the taste and texture.

Other than that, I'm not sure what makes kosher-style salami. I would
expect a smoked garlicky all-beef summer sausage. (fermented and cooked
salami) Probably seasoned with mustard seed, black pepper, and either
coriander or nutmeg.

Best regards,
Bob