Bob (this one)

Lodovico wrote:

> We are developing a Dessert product that consists of dried fruit baked in a
> very thin layer of pastry. Testing of a sample for Water Activity and PH
> was: WA C and 4.45 PH.
>
> Given the above and the fact that we do not always expect this product to
> be refrigerated - and it will be packaged in Cellophane (At Times) would any
> one have some insight into the need for a Shelf Life Study? Do the test
> results indicate an environment that is conducive to Micro-growth and the
> need for a preservative?

These figures are close to the boundaries that the US government uses
for room-temp stable and refrigerated products. Without knowing what
ingredients are in the pastry and fillings, it's not possible to make a
conclusive comment.

My suggestion is to check with an FDA-knowledgeable food science laboratory.

This answer assumes that you are in the US.

This group is about home preserving, not commercial.

Pastorio