Melinda

Hey Eric, while we're on the subject...can you describe the difference in
taste between roasted yerba mate and green? I have some roasted and I can't
say I like it very well, so I thought maybe I'd have more luck with
green...but tell me if you happen to know, what the difference in taste is.

Melinda

--
"The country has entered an era in which
questions are not asked, for questions are
"Eric Jorgensen" > wrote in message
On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 12:42:51 -0500
"Bluesea" > wrote:

> "Eric Jorgensen" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 11:48:40 -0500
> "Bluesea" > wrote:
> >
> > Last night, instead of using my bone china mug for my white tea, I
> > tossed the leaves into my glass mug, filled with 140°F water, stuffed
> > filter paper up a straw, and enjoyed the visual all night along with
> > the taste, refilling the water as needed.

> Yerba Mate drinkers solved that problem years ago:
>
> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...360005-7390212
>

> How do they clean the inside of the straw?

You know, I don't think they do. It's got a lot more kick than tea, and
is probably more habit forming.

Maybe I'm just more obsessive than my mate-drinking coworker, I wipe
down and air dry my glassware after every cup of tea, and give it all a
full wash once a week. But I've never seen him do more than scrape the old
leaves out of his gourd.

http://store.amigofoods.com/yemabo2.html

Most of the bombillas at that site unscrew for cleaning. My guess is
they just get flushed with water.

> I used a disposable straw and was thinking of looking for a glass one (I
> don't like the metallic taste that the S/S lip of a traveler's mug gives
> me), but I don't know how to clean the build-ups from the inside of a
> straw and want to avoid crossing flavors.

Yeah, there's really only one flavor of yerba mate.

As for stainless steel having a flavor, I find that a slightly odd
concept - but there are varying grades of stainless steel. There might be
some electrolysis or something going on. *shrug*.

Stainless steel - or silver if you're wealthy - seem to be the materials
of choice for yerba mate, but they come in glass and plastic (and bamboo,
and etc), too.

http://www.ecoteas.com/tek9.asp?pg=p...=jnppnqd8&cid=