Victor Sack

Margaret Suran > wrote:

> The only way I remember eating trout in Europe was "blue", or Blau
> Gesotten. Victor, do you have a recipe for it? I remember it was
> quite plain and had some butter on it and it was very good but very
> bony. We only ate it at hotels on vacation, never at home.

I'm pretty sure it was Bachforelle (brook trout) you had, not the
inferior Regenbogenforelle (rainbow trout), and it was likely
freshly-caught. Besides, those Bachforellen in those times were mostly
wild, not farmed, as they are likely to be now. Alpine wild brook trout
is considered by many to be one of the world's truly great fishes.
Joseph Wechsberg declared it to be the finest fish of them all.
(Myself, I like it very much but usually prefer stronger-tasting fish).

The blue/bleu/blau method is simple and here is my take on this fairly
generic recipe (works for other fish, too). Ideally, use freshly-caught
wild brook trout of about 300 g (11 oz) each. First, prepare a
court-bouillon with water, parsley, celery, lemon (juice), vinegar, salt
and, optionally a bit of some or all of: pepper, allspice, bay leaf,
ginger, cloves and mustard seeds (I'm liable to use all of the above).
Meanwhile, gut the fish, rinse lightly under running water and salt
lightly inside only. Then, put it into the boiling court-bouillon (this
will lower its temperature, of course), bring to the boil again, reduce
heat and simmer for 12-15 minutes.
For four servings, use 4 trout, 3 l (3 quarts) water, 1 lemon cut in
slices (or its juice), 500 g (1 pound) total of parsley and celery), 8
tablespoons good quality vinegar, 2 tablespoons salt and, optionally, a
bit of some or all of pepper, allspice, bay leaf, ginger, cloves and
mustard seeds.

If the trout is truly fresh, it is supposed to curve up sidewise in hot
water and its skin will likely split open. This is a good sign.
(Frozen trout will usually stay ramrod-straight and its skin will remain
intact.)

Serve with melted butter and boiled potatoes.

Bubba