Ken Davey

Janet Bostwick wrote:
> "Dog3" > wrote in message
> 1...
>> "Janet Bostwick" > wrote in
>> :
>>

> snip

>>> About 1 inch. I was thinking oven at 350F, smear the fish with some
>>> butter and give a sprinkle of Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper. In
>>> the past I've done either a dribble of soy sauce or a dribble of
>>> lemon. This seems a safe way to go for tonight. Thanks for the
>>> timing. Janet

>> Sounds yummy to me. Will you report the results back? I've never
>> used soy on halibut.
>>
>> Michael

> I was timid tonight and just did butter, salt and pepper, however,
> your timing was a big help. I checked at 10 minutes and it
> definitely wasn't done but 15 was perfect--just beginning to flake
> and very juicy. I think the reason I bought this halibut was because
> it was the most beautiful piece I'd ever seen. Absolutely no
> discoloration of any kind, the surface of the fish was dry(the right
> kind of dry) and no odor. It even felt good when I handled it. It
> must have been really fresh.
> Soy sauce and butter is a nice touch, but you want to be careful that
> you don't overdo the soy sauce or it can easily overpower the fish. I
> still think that if you can get really nice, fresh fish that the
> simplest preparation is the best way to go.
>
> Janet

Soy sauce and butter also do wonders for salmon. Bag it (plate covered with
plastic wrap) and gently cook in the microwave.
Caviat - I have access to large amounts of fresh caught Sockeye and a fillet
that will feed several famished folks is next to free in season!
(eat your hearts out) (BFG).

And in my humble opinion (referring to the subject line) the only thing that
a rainbow trout (fresh caught of course) needs is pan frying in butter.
Hot pan to crisp the skin and a brief time to avoid overcooking.
Heaven!!!

Ken.

--
http://www.rupert.net/~solar