Janet Bostwick

"aem" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Janet Bostwick wrote:
>> [snip recipe for Halibut Caddy Ganty]

>> Thanks for this recipe, I've set it aside to try with salmon--a fish
>> that I am not overly excited about. But I think this recipe will
>> moisten and enhance salmon.
>> Janet

> Oh no, please don't! My friends in Alaska would kill me if they
> thought I was responsible for somebody slathering all that creamy stuff
> over salmon. Salmon has a much more distinctive taste, and a good
> piece of salmon is fattier and moister than halibut. Instead, mix honey
> and soy sauce together and baste salmon while grilling it. That's all
> you need to do.
>
> I am assuming here that you will get wild salmon, not that terrible
> farmed stuff. If you get the farmed stuff, I recommend boiling it for
> about 45 minutes, then draining into a colander, dousing it liberally
> with tabasco sauce, and chucking directly into the trash. <g> -aem

I've only had mostly bad experiences with salmon. I've never had farmed or
bought, just recently caught--all kinds, Great Lakes, mountain lakes and
ocean caught. However, everyone seems to cook the tar out of the fish and
smoke the heck out of it as well. It's always been bitter and dry and makes
me choke. The only exception is a neighbor whose husband makes a yearly
Alaskan fishing trip and invites all the neighbors over for a cookout. She
does something with maple syrup that makes the most wonderfully tasty and
moist fish. Your suggestion of honey and soy sauce sounds a good
possibility. I can buy farmed or wild salmon and would definitely buy wild
as the notice on the sale sign that the farmed fish is artificially colored
is a big red flag. The price per pound for the wild does take your breath
away.

Your recipe for farmed salmon reminds me of the old mid-Western direction
for cooking catfish. Season a board, tack the catfish to the board, cook
exposed to an open wood fire until done, remove catfish and throw away, eat
board. ;o} (ducking) I said it was an old mid-Western recipe--I actually
like catfish.

But, o.k., I will give salmon my own try and see how it goes. By the way,
tonight's halibut done in the oven was absolutely luscious, so moist and
tender.

Janet