Janet Bostwick

"John Bonnett" > wrote in message

> "Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Dog3" > wrote in message
>> 1...
>> > "aem" > wrote in
>> > oups.com:

>> snip

> -----snip redux-----
>
>> Michael, I think you are very impressionable when various fish dinners
>> are
>> discussed . . .talapia, trout and now halibut. Although, come to think
>> of
>> it, I'm going to pick up some trout at Costco and put them in the smoker
>> next weekend, that's a killer dish.
>> Janet

> Try smoking it with apple wood if you can get some. There are online
> stores
> which sell chunks of different species albeit at a relatively high price.
> But
> for a once-in-a-while smoking event I think its worth it. Cherry is
> pretty
> good
> too. Fish just won't stand up to mesquite or hickory. You would get the
> same
> results if you smoked the container the fish came in with those species.
>
> I'm still battling for full control of my WSM smoker, but so far the score
> is
> John 7, ruined food 0.
>
> John<==probably just jinxed myself !

Apple is the plan, although I have some cherry as well. We have
commercial orchards nearby and they sell the wood. Straight hickory is
pretty tough on most foods, IMO. We haven't ruined any food yet, but are
still on the learning curve. It's pretty hard to ruin something at low and
slow. I'm looking forward to more stable weather so that we can plan some
day-long smokes.
Janet