aem

Janet Bostwick wrote:
> We're having halibut tonight. [snip] What are some good ways to
> do halibut--I was thinking oven, but hadn't gotten beyond that.
> Janet

Halibut is very accommodating, can be cooked successfully in the oven,
on the grill, or on the stovetop. This recipe is more popular among
Alaskans than even king salmon, imho. Some people thinks it sounds
uninteresting but as simple as it is, everything works together
perfectly.

Halibut Caddy Ganty

Halibut, fresh or defrosted very slowly
white wine
bread crumbs
sour cream [say, 2 cups per 2 lbs. fish]
mayonnaise [1 cup per 2 of sour cream]
finely chopped onions [1 cup per 2 lbs. fish]
Paprika

Cut filleted halibut into pieces approximately 1" thick and 3" x 3",
put in a large dish, and cover with white wine. Marinate in the
'fridge for 1 to 2 hours.

Drain the fillets and pat dry, then roll in dried bread crumbs. Place
in a single layer in a lightly buttered baking dish.

Mix 2 parts sour cream, 1 part mayonnaise and 1 part chopped onions
well together and spread thickly over the fillets, smoothing it out to
the edges so the fish is covered completely. Sprinkle the top with
paprika and bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes or until light brown.
Garnish with parsley and serve with lemon wedges.

There are many options, particularly to add a little spice or tang.
But as is, this is great comfort food. -aem