elaine

Default lemon cookies?

3/4 cup ( 1/2 sticks) butter, softened
1 1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons grated lemon zest
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt

This recipe comes from the early 1900s when people had ice boxes and has
been modenized for 20th century convenience. These cookies are crispy,
wafer-like delectables.

Cream butter and sugar until creamy. Add vanilla, lemon zest and juice and
continue mixing until smooth. Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda and
salt. Add to butter and sugar mixture and blend well.

Turn out dough onto wax paper or plastic wrap and form into 2 logs 1 to 1/2
inches in diameter and about 1 foot in length. Wrap tightly and refrigerate
for 2 hours or freeze until ready to use.

Cut logs into 1/8 inch thick slices and place cookies about 2 inches apart
on an ungreased baking sheet. Slice only enough cookies to fill baking sheet
and return remaining dough to refrigerator until ready to slice and bake.
When they bake-up, they'll flatten and spread out for miles on the cookie
sheet so remember to give them plenty of growing room.

Bake at 350 degrees until lightly golden, 7 - 8 minutes (I gave them 9-10
minutes because the edges weren't golden enough at 8... any more than that
and they got too dark). The edges should be golden. Remove from oven and let
cool slightly on baking sheet. Use a flat, metal spatula to remove each
cookie one at a time. If they cool too much, the sugar will make them
brittle and they'll explode when you try to lift them off, so only give them
a few minutes at the most to cool.
Yield: 4 Dozen

nk.net...