sisyphus

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 16:49:49 -0500, potatoman
> wrote:

>Oh, I understand the business side of a restaurant and markup. I wasn't
>saying it wasn't neccessary, just that it is remarkable when you
>actually stop and consider how much it can sometimes be. Although, I do
>think that 5 times the ammount of a bottle (which isn't the same as the
>markup on the cost of components of a meal which has to be prepared) is
>just a tad excessive. IMO, 100% markup is more than fair.
>
>And, as a former server, I understand gratuity all too well. It's almost
>a curse - Sometimes when I think the server has done a dreadful job, I
>still leave more than what most would consider a decent tip, when I
>really shouldn't.

I agree with your assessment, but few restauranteurs would (though
there are some). Shameful that it is tough to find the bargains on the
less expensive end of the wine list, generally speaking.

I am a fomer sever as well, and do the same...15% for bad service.