MikeD

sisyphus wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 16:29:36 GMT, MikeD > wrote:
>

>>ALDI Stores USA is now stocking Burlwood Cellars wines. These are
>>produced buy E&J Gallo for the Hotel and Restaurant industry.
>>
>>I've not tried them yet, but ALDI has five varietals: Cabernet
>>Sauvignon, Merlot, White Zinfandel, Sauvignon Blanc, and Chardonnay, all
>>at $5.99 per bottle. I picked up a bottle of 2003 Merlot and 2003
>>Sauvignon Blanc to review for the web site, and was curious if anyone
>>has ever tried these before?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Mike

> I never cared for Burlwood. When I lived in the Caribbean, we sold it
> as a catering wine option. I believe it was created to be sold as
> such( also house wine). Because it was produced specifically for the
> Hotel and Restaurant Industry there was no way for the consumer to
> gauge a price for the wine, as it was not available retail.
>
> I believe we purchased for $3.99 and sold for $25 as our least
> expensive catering option.

You hit the nail on the head. One of the primary reasons for starting
my wine reviews "at the bottom" is because MANY of these wines are out
there with no reviews or information for the consumer. Google for
Burlwood Cellars and you'll find a list of restaurants selling these
wines for $20+/bottle to customers who most likely have no idea. I paid
$5.99 a bottle. Yes, I know restaurants take a high markup on wine, but
400%? If consumers knew better that wouldn't be the case IMHO.

--

http://www.webwinerack.com - Wine, Wine Reviews, and Wine Information