Katra

In article .com>,
"Sheldon" > wrote:

> ms. tonya wrote:
> > Going to make my first batch of homemade vanilla extract -2 fold-

> very
> > shortly using organic vanilla beans & wondering if anyone who is a
> > master of this has tips or even their recipe they wouldn't mind

> giving
> > out.

> If they're good quality fresh beans and you intend to use the resultant
> extract in a way that it will be subjected to high temperatures such as
> in baked goods, then you are wasting your vanilla beans. Use your
> beans for something not subjected to high temperatures, like ice
> cream... for anything heated past boiling use vanilla flavoring, not
> even extract. Modern vanilla flavoring is indistinguishable by humans
> from even the most expensive extract if it will be subjected to high
> temperatures. Save your real vanilla for desserts, like puddings, ice
> cream, whipped cream, frostings, etc., not for cakes, cookies, or
> anything where it will be cooked.
>
> Sheldon

<shiver> Sorry babe, but there are many people, myself included, that
CAN tell the difference between "real" vanilla extract vs. the fake
stuff. I can't stand the fake stuff!

There are a lot of dessert chefs that I've seen on the cooking shows
(especially the ones on the stuff done at the teaching schools) that
don't use vanilla extract. They split the beans open and scrape them
out, and use the mush that is inside of the beans for direct flavoring.

I've never tried that, but I scored a number of fresh and inexpensive
beans off of ebay that are residing in my refrigerator right now that I
intend to try that with. ;-d

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

There is no need to change the world. All we have to do is toilet train the world and we'll never have to change it again. -- Swami Beyondanada