Mark Thorson

Default Pointers to things one can do with cocoa beans wanted

Andreas Siegert wrote:

> ever since I have seen the film Chocolat I felt like trying some
> things with Cocoa beans.
> I finally found a source that has raw and roasted beans.
> What next?

They're called cacao beans, not cocoa. They become
cocoa nibs after being roasted and broken. When the
cocoa nibs are ground, they become cocoa powder.

The unroasted beans are not really raw. They've been
fermented and dried. The fermentation process is
essential to developing the chocolate flavor. Fermented
beans are a deep purplish brown. Unfermented beans
are almost white, like a cashew.