Michael Plant

Aloke /29/05

> "Ripon" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>> Dear SMC:
>>
>> Gonfu style with Darjeeling tea...ummm I agree Gonfu and Gaiwan both
>> style release different dimension for the same tea. I have also
>> discovered White and Yellow tea both taste much better with Gonfu. I
>> hope sub-continent people will accept Gonfu method. I can tell, many
>> tea drinkers will refuse the Gonfu style because of the traditional of
>> milk tea. What do you think SMC?

> This will never catch-on in India. Tea is very utilitarian item there. In
> less affluent households, they don't have the time to go through this
> elaborate preparation. It's "boil the CTC in a mixture of milk+water and
> add lots of sugar".

Well, that is the same all over the world. Gung Fu is not for the many, and
I must say there is something to be said for causually and easily preparing
a cup of tea just the way you like it, milk, sugar, and all, if such be the
case.

> In wealthier families, tea is prepared by the servants who are too dumb to
> be trained to do this elaborate ritual, standing next to the sahibs for all
> the time it takes to go through 5-6 steepings ....

I was in India long enough to come to realize that the servants are anything
but dumb and they would be quite capable of preparing Gung Fu tea were this
required. It is more in the nature of Gung Fu tea, however, that the Sahib
prepare it for the servants. (Lest somebody think I'm trying to be humorous,
rest assured I'm not.)

Michael