D. Gerasimatos

In article >,
Mark Lipton > wrote:

>> I agree that finding food to go with them can be difficult. On the other
>> hand, I really like big, alcoholic zinfandels. To me, the old style
>> zinfandels are far too harsh. The zinfandel grape has some harsh flavors
>> that, to me, are not very drinkable. The only thing the grape has going for
>> it is the fruit. A more subdued style of zinfandel is something I prefer to
>> pass on entirely. That is not to say that I want zinfandel that tastes
>> like cough syrup, but most of the old 'spaghetti red' zinfandels are just
>> bad in my opinion.

>Well, it all depends on what you mean by "old style." Ridge has been
>making Zinfandel in largely the same style for well over 30 years now.
>Ridge Geryserville is a far cry from "spagehetti red," however. To me,
>the atttractions of Zin a price, fruit, acids and complexity. The
>varietal notes of pepper and tar are almost unique among wines made in
>CA, and a good Zin will present an interesting mix of berry fruit,
>cedar, tar, pepper and (in some cases) oak. Frankly, I find a well-made
>CA Zin to be a more food-friendly wine than most of the CalCabs made
>today -- though I realize that that's not saying much.

Well, when I say 'old style' I mean watery spaghetti reds with less fruit
and more astringency. That does not describe Ridge.

>Turley's Zins have undergone some reworking since the mid-'90s IMO.
>When I tasted at the old Pesenti winery last Dec., I found their Zins to
>be very well-made if not quite so interesting as some others.

Lots of pepper, vanilla, and wood layered under the fruit is why I like
Turley and why it is one of my favorites. However, I find it less suitable
for food than something more austere like Ravenswood.

Dimitri