D. Gerasimatos

In article >,
Tom S > wrote:
> wrote in message
roups.com...

>>I attended a retailer sponsored sit down Zinfandel wine tasting. I was
>> very disappointed. Almost all the wines were overripe and extremely
>> alcoholic. I didn't rate most of them, because I just don't like
>> this style of Zin.

>> When exactly did California wine makers decide this was the style of
>> Zin that consumers want?
>>
>> Are there really a lot of consumers that like this style of wine?

>Probably the same crowd that likes Amarone. I occasionally am in the mood
>for a big Zin, but I'll admit they aren't terribly food friendly. Cheese is
>about the only thing that they really complement, but who cares?

I agree that finding food to go with them can be difficult. On the other
hand, I really like big, alcoholic zinfandels. To me, the old style
zinfandels are far too harsh. The zinfandel grape has some harsh flavors that,
to me, are not very drinkable. The only thing the grape has going for it
is the fruit. A more subdued style of zinfandel is something I prefer to
pass on entirely. That is not to say that I want zinfandel that tastes
like cough syrup, but most of the old 'spaghetti red' zinfandels are just
bad in my opinion.

For example, I really like Turley's zinfandels. Turley makes a bottling
from the old Pesenti vineyard, which they now own. Even though lots of
people liked it, I did not care for the old Pesenti zins at all. I think
the Pesenti bottling is not one of Turley's best, but to my palate I
far prefer it to the old-style wines that were being made there before.

I see zinfandel as a grape with a lot of concentrated fruit that can get
overripe. Underlying that is a bitterness that I do not enjoy. The fruit
helps mask that. If I am not in the mood for a big, alcoholic fruit bomb
of a zin then I just have a different wine altogether.

Dimitri