Dana H. Myers

Duwop wrote:
> "Dana H. Myers" > wrote in message
>>Johnny wrote:
>>>Do y'all pull the membrane off the inside of the ribs before smoking?

>>Yup. I use a butter knife at the small end of the rack
>>to get started and a paper towel to get a good grip.
>>Baby backs and spares both get the treatment.

> Why? Have you done it both ways? Is there a difference? I thought it was one
> of those BBQ competition things to make it easier for the judges to eat.

I've done it both ways. I like it better with the membrane peeled,
that's why I do it, though it's more a texture thing than a flavor
thing. While some folks think the membrane holds in more juice, I
find there's plenty of fat under the membrane, juiciness isn't an
issue for me. I do find that the rub seems to seep in a little more
with the membrane missing.

It's probably 6 o' one, half-dozen of the other, though.

Damn, I'm ready for the periodic rain to stop and spring to
really arrive.

Dana