Ariane Jenkins

On 29 Mar 2005 19:13:00 -0800, Sheldon > wrote:

> aem wrote:
>> Sheldon wrote:
>> [snip preceding]
>> >
>> > You're not making fried rice. In fried rice the whole egg is first
>> > fried like an omelet and then used in bits as a garnish, raw egg is
>> > not blended into anything... in fact in Chinese fried rice only the
>> > yolk is fried, the whites are saved for other things, like stuffing

>> mixtures,
>> > lobster sauce, hot n' sour soup, for coating seafood, etc. There's

>> no
>> > egg yolk blended into stuffing mixtures. The yolks are used

>> separately
>> > too, with egg drop soup, egg foo yong, etc. most of the whites are
>> > removed for other uses. Separating eggs is common in all cusines.

>> You
>> > heard of hoodwinked, well you've been Bang Cocked! hehe
>> >

>> Well, some cooks sometimes do it that way, but it's certainly not the
>> only way to do things. If you know you're going to use egg whites
>> later for something, then you might use only the yolks in fried rice,
>> but there is no reason whatsoever not to use the whole egg if you're
>> not saving the white. Same for egg drop soup--I have sometimes
>> reserved the egg white for a marinade for that meal's stirfry, but
>> other times I use the whole egg. For egg fooyung and for lobster
>> sauce, I think using only yolks would be rare and inferior. -aem

> Yeah, well... you're not Chinese. LOL

But I am. And this is the first I've heard of using only the yolk in
fried rice. Most people I know use the whole egg in fried rice, hot and sour
soup, etc. including myself. And it can be stir-fried separately from the
rice OR stir-fried with it, it varies according to who's making it. An aunt
of mine does it the omelet way--cooking it into a thin pancake and then
cooling it before julienning it for a garnish. Other aunts of mine simply
scramble it with the rice so that it forms small chunks mixed in with
everything else. Less elegant, perhaps, but it's faster and it tastes just as
good.

Then again, you're also the same person who claimed few procedures in
Asian cuisine takes longer than 3 minutes and that wasn't true, either.

Ariane
--
Dysfunction: The only consistent feature of all your dissatisfying
relationships is you.