Old 30-03-2005, 02:13 AM
Arri London

jmcquown wrote:

I have no cornstarch. I have no arrowroot. I need something to help bind
together the filling for steamed (Asian) dumplings. I think flour would be
too glutinous. Aside from going to the store, any suggestions?

Wheat flour won't be too glutinous if you mix the ingredients lightly.
Otherwise use rice flour or tapioca flour or potato flour.

But since the filling is going into wrappers it probably would survive
just fine without the starchy binder.

Recipe follows:

3 oz. crab meat
6 oz. ground pork
6 large shrimp, minced*
1 Tbs. water
1-1/2 tsp. cornstarch
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1 egg
1-1/2 tsp. light soy sauce
1 Tbs. oil
1/2 tsp. pepper

*or 1 can baby shrimp, well drained
Combine all ingredients except wonton wrappers. Place 1 Tbs. filling in the
center of each wrapper and fold and pinch to seal with moistened fingers.
Cover and steam over boiling water 20-25 minutes.

Jill
--
I used to have a handle on life...but it broke off.