Repeating Rifle

in article , Dick
Adams at wrote on 3/26/05 11:33 AM:

> "Repeating Rifle" > wrote in message
>
>> Krusteaze sells six-packs of assorted bread mixes.
>> This time, I took one of those packs, cracked wheat,
>> to bake sourdough bread.

>> Again I used all my starter and prepared a new batch.
>> The instructions called for 1 cup of water, but I added
>> an extra 2.5 fl oz for the flour already in my starter.

> So you are using your starter to make SD from Krusteaz
> cracked-wheat BM mix? Did you know that Krusteaz
> is selling BM mixes that already make SD?

I am and I know respectively. Krusteaze's sourdough is faux sourdough using
added acids, and horrors, COMMERCIAL YEAST.

>> Moreover, I put the starter in my refrigerator before the
>> flour has been fully eaten.

> Who is eating the flour?

Various yeasties and bacterial beasties.

> With you mentions of Krusteaz mixes, you are making us nostalgic
> for "Billy Fish" AKA "Fishy Bill" who posted at r.f.s. about Krusteaz
> BM mixes in bygone years. Perhaps you would be interested in
> searching out some of his posts in the Google archive?

I am exposed! Various changes in ISPs prevented me from using my old name.
And I now thought that you would be pleased with me for avoiding store
bought yeast.

In any event the technique I am using now gives me great bread with sour
taste, good crust, and good leavening in a reasonable time. The only problem
is that after 24 hours the bread has degraded considerably from what it was
during the first few hours.

Bill