Jean B.

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> OK, this recipe is 20+ years old -- Campbell's doesn't make frozen soups
> anymore, I think, so fake it -- they might make a canned Cream of Shrimp
> soup.
>
> * Exported from MasterCook Mac *
>
> Shrimp-Sauced Bacon and Eggs
>
> Recipe By : Barb Schaller, and posted to r.f.cooking 3/26/05
> Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
> Categories : Entrees

> Eggs:
> 2 slices bacon -- crisply cooked
> 8 hard-cooked eggs -- peeled and halved
> lengthwise
> 1/3 cup mayonnaise or salad dressing
> 1/2 tsp. paprika
> 1/2 tsp. curry powder -- (1/2 to 3/4)
> 1/4 tsp. dry mustard
> Shrimp Sauce:
> 2 Tbsp. butter
> 2 Tbsp. flour
> 1 can cream of shrimp soup -- (10 oz.)
> 1 1/4 cup milk (soup can)
> 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
> 1 pkg. small frozen -- (6 oz.) cooked
> shrimp
> Topping:
> 1 cup fresh bread crumbs
> 1 Tbsp. butter -- melted
>
> Crumble the cooked bacon (rather small pieces) and set aside. Scoop egg
> yolks from eggs and mash with mayonnaise, paprika, curry powder, and
> mustard. Stir in crumbled bacon. Spoon yolk mixture back into white
> halves.
>
> Make Shrimp Sauce: Melt butter and flour together; stir. Gradually add
> soup and milk; cook until thick and bubbly. Stir in cheese until
> melted, then stir in frozen shrimp.
>
> Arrange eggs in a shallow baking dish, about 7x11². Pour sauce over
> eggs. Toss bread crumbs in butter and sprinkle on top of eggs and
> sauce. Bake at 350° just to heat through, about 15 minutes. Makes 6
> servings.
>
> You can serve it atop a toasted English muffin half or not. A tomato
> slice between the egg and the muffin isn't a bad thing, either.
>
> DO NOT REHEAT -- it toughens the egg whites.
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
> Per serving (excluding unknown items): 110 Calories; 8g Fat (68%
> calories from fat); 3g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; 22mg Cholesterol; 263mg
> Sodium
> Food Exchanges: 1/2 Starch/Bread; 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Fat
>
> NOTES : Won 3rd Place and $100 in the 1986 Minnesota Egg Council Cooking
> Contest -- their first such contest.

Gee, with so many people over the years bemoaning the
disappearance of that soup, you'd think Campbell's might take the
hint. I was going to say I had never found a comparable soup of
that ilk, but there was a nice lobster bisque I used to be able to
buy locally. Of course, that disappeared too.

--
Jean B.