Mark Lipton

D. Gerasimatos wrote:
> In article >,
> Tom S > wrote:
>
> wrote in message
groups.com...

>>>I attended a retailer sponsored sit down Zinfandel wine tasting. I was
>>>very disappointed. Almost all the wines were overripe and extremely
>>>alcoholic. I didn't rate most of them, because I just don't like
>>>this style of Zin.

>>>When exactly did California wine makers decide this was the style of
>>>Zin that consumers want?
>>>
>>>Are there really a lot of consumers that like this style of wine?

>>Probably the same crowd that likes Amarone. I occasionally am in the mood
>>for a big Zin, but I'll admit they aren't terribly food friendly. Cheese is
>>about the only thing that they really complement, but who cares?

> I agree that finding food to go with them can be difficult. On the other
> hand, I really like big, alcoholic zinfandels. To me, the old style
> zinfandels are far too harsh. The zinfandel grape has some harsh flavors that,
> to me, are not very drinkable. The only thing the grape has going for it
> is the fruit. A more subdued style of zinfandel is something I prefer to
> pass on entirely. That is not to say that I want zinfandel that tastes
> like cough syrup, but most of the old 'spaghetti red' zinfandels are just
> bad in my opinion.

Well, it all depends on what you mean by "old style." Ridge has been
making Zinfandel in largely the same style for well over 30 years now.
Ridge Geryserville is a far cry from "spagehetti red," however. To me,
the atttractions of Zin a price, fruit, acids and complexity. The
varietal notes of pepper and tar are almost unique among wines made in
CA, and a good Zin will present an interesting mix of berry fruit,
cedar, tar, pepper and (in some cases) oak. Frankly, I find a well-made
CA Zin to be a more food-friendly wine than most of the CalCabs made
today -- though I realize that that's not saying much.

> For example, I really like Turley's zinfandels. Turley makes a bottling
> from the old Pesenti vineyard, which they now own. Even though lots of
> people liked it, I did not care for the old Pesenti zins at all. I think
> the Pesenti bottling is not one of Turley's best, but to my palate I
> far prefer it to the old-style wines that were being made there before.

Turley's Zins have undergone some reworking since the mid-'90s IMO.
When I tasted at the old Pesenti winery last Dec., I found their Zins to
be very well-made if not quite so interesting as some others.

However, the one Turley Zin I had from the mid-'90s was as close to
cough syrup as I ever hope to find in a wine bottle. Fortunately, it
was served as a pseudo-Port for I can't imagine what food would actually
stand up to such a monster.

Mark Lipton