Peter Aitken

"Barry Bean" > wrote in message
.. .
> Given the relatively simple function of a sharpening steel, is it worth
> spending the $$$ to get a high end model? Are there real differences
> between steel, ceramic, and diamond coated steel?
>
> FWIW, I have a nice sharpener that I use once or twice a year, so the
> steel
> really is just for fine tuning the edges.

A steel straightenes the microscopic teeth on the edge. A ceramic "steel"
both straightens the teeth and provides a small amount of actual sharpening
(removal of metal). I have found that a ceramic steel does a better job of
keeping knives sharp and prolonging the time between actual sharpenings.

--
Peter Aitken