pavane

"Bi!!" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> pavane wrote:
> > > wrote in message
> > oups.com...
> >
> > > I attended a retailer sponsored sit down Zinfandel wine tasting. I

> was
> > > very disappointed. Almost all the wines were overripe and extremely
> > > alcoholic. I didn't rate most of them, because I just don't like
> > > this style of Zin.
> > > When exactly did California wine makers decide this was the style

> of
> > > Zin that consumers want?

> > (To the tune of The Mickey Mouse Club...
> > P-A R K-E R That's the stuff that sells!)
> >
> > pavane

> My first recollection of Zin's becoming ultra-ripe and over the top was
> when I first tasted a 1996 Turley Hayne Vineyard Zin that was quite
> saturated and sweet with a very Port like structure. I just checked
> and Parker gave that wine 97 points with most of Turley's Zin's
> recieving scores in the mid to high 90's so I agree with Pavane's
> comments. Since that time I've tasted scores of over the top zinfandel
> with the 1998 Martinelli Jackass Hill Zin (Parker 97 points) being at
> the top of the monstrosity scale at a whopping 17% alcohol and the
> consistancy of cough syrup. FWIW, Parker raves about Martinelli
> zinfandel's placing them at the top of all producers. I have seen a
> shift back towards more reasonable zinfandel in the last few years with
> a more traditional style.

"...the top of the monstrosity scale" is a lovely descriptor for that
style of winemaking. But I have found that most of the classic makers
stick with a rather moderate approach; it is just that glamour has its
appeal and there is nothing glamorous about discussing Loonies or
Grgich or Frogs Leap or Murphy-Goode. I have my Biale stored away,
to bring out at the proper occasion which is usually not a for a good
food and wine match.

pavane