Bob (this one)

Barry Bean wrote:
> Given the relatively simple function of a sharpening steel, is it worth
> spending the $$$ to get a high end model? Are there real differences
> between steel, ceramic, and diamond coated steel?

Boy, are there. The steel isn't really a sharpener. It doesn't remove
metal; it just lines up the microscopic teeth on the edge of the blade.
The ceramic and diamond sharpeners are shaped like steels, but actually
remove metal to create a new edge.

> FWIW, I have a nice sharpener that I use once or twice a year, so the steel
> really is just for fine tuning the edges.

I have both ceramic and diamond sharpeners. I haven't used a stone or
other traditional sharpener in years. Not necessary if you take your
knives to the ceramic or diamond sharpeners periodically. I buff my
knives with the ceramic about every third time I use them. Diamond about
every 10th time.

Pastorio