.

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005, -L. wrote:

> Petey the Wonder Dog wrote:
> >
> > Starting out, you need the LEAST amount of investment possible.
> >
> > When you start to make money and establish a product or products, then
> > go for it.

> /delurk. Ok, so how does one go about doing this initially? Baking
> for friends and/or selling goodies under the table to establish a
> client base? Or should I contract out a small batch of product and
> peddle it to retailers?
>
> > It cost me $135,000.00 to get started. I'm into it for two years and
> > am just starting to make money. That's pretty normal for a
> > bakery/restaurnat.

> Pardon my ignorance (I'm new to the group) but what kind of business do
> you have?
>
> > I almost got killed by the Adkins idiocy, and by some wildly
> > fluctuating flour and egg prices.

> Has the Adkins wave subsided at all for you? Or did you have to alter
> recipes to come up with low-carb alternatives?
>
> > Assume the smallest risk possible, test your product wholesale and
> > retail and chase your dream.
> >
> > Read about how Famous Amos got his start. Then go to the Small
> > Business Development Center in your area with your business plan.

> Thanks for posting your experience. I, too, am thinking of starting a
> baking business (cakes, cookies) because so many people tell me I
> should.

People have told me I'm good at baking and suggested I start a business.
They aren't considering the business side of starting a bakery. There is a
huge difference between being a good baker and running a business.

I make my living in Computer Science. I have seen a lot of friends create
start up companies. All of them have been really good programmers. The
only people successful have hired people who are really good managers.
They create the programs and their partners manage the business.

Some people are good at both. You just have to recognize where your
strengths are and get others to help you were you are weak. If you are
like me, you want to find someone to handle the business aspects while you
handle the actual baking.