zxcvbob wrote:
> wrote:
>
> > Thanks, Barb, for the tips.
> >
> > That inspired me to get creative yesterday, Sat. afternoon. Has a
> > recipe for a lentil soup with lentils (duh), ham chunks, (and
> > everything following from my dehydrated stores) onion, green

pepper,
> > mushrooms, plum tomatoes, celery, and assorted herbs and spices.
> >
> > Slowly simmered all afternoon.
> >
> > Tasted, fooled with a bit more, simmered a bit more, added some

other
> > veggies.
> > Tasted again.
> >
> > Then decided to throw it all out.
> >
> > Why did I buy that fancy dehydrator?
> >
> > Or, I just decide to give up on doing anything with lentils.
> >
> > Made dinner from a box of tuna helper.
> >

> I vote for, "you just doen't like lentils". Try it again sometime

with
> Great Northern beans or small red beans.
>
> Bob

I think you may be right, zv. I've had lentils eating out, or from
canned soups, but never success whenever I pick up a bag on a whim (or
on a shopping cart) and thry to cook them myself. I use red beans many
different ways. Great Northern -- are those the small white beans,
like in the famous Senate dining room soup recipe? Had that recipe
around here long ago, always thought I might try it.

Or perhaps because those lentils are so small they cook too fast and
become mushy. I like the long, slow simmer for soups and stews. In
fact, the only thing that's preserving my sanity this long end to
winter is it's still the season for soups and stews. The only mushy
ones I'll tolerate are split green peas. hmmm .... that's an idea.