Rona Y.

IanW wrote:
> One approach, I thought I could try is to make some at home myself
> and take them round to supermarkets and see if I can clinch some
> orders. If successful them there happens to be a large scale bakery
> not too far from where I live, that makes things like flap-jacks and
> muffins, so I could approach them and see if I could come to a deal
> with them to make the line of products under my brand.. does that
> kind of thing sound feasible or am I just dreaming here.. how do
> other people start up this kind of business?
>
> Ian

If you're thinking of doing it from home, the very first thing you need to
do is contact your city offices to determine if it's legal to operate a home
baking business. In my city, you cannot sell goods made in home
kitchens--you must use a commercial kitchen (rent space) or have a separate
kitchen solely for baking for your business. There are also various health
codes one needs to adhere to.

Personally, I think you'd be better off starting small. Supermarkets,
especially large ones, would not likely order from a home baker. Instead,
try baking (which you could charge for--though then you'd have to follow you
city's health codes) for your friends' parties, or their friends' parties,
etc. Your product will reach a wider customer base, and the reputation of
your product will spread by word of mouth. Once you have that wide customer
base, you can consider opening your own bakery, or marketing your cakes to
restaurants or country clubs. You could try approaching a small bakery, but
going to a large-scale bakery first, I think, is just dreaming (not to say
it can't happen...).

rona

"[America] is filled with people who decided not to live in Europe. We
had people who really wanted to live in Europe, but didn't have the
energy to go back. We call them Canadians." ---Grover Norquist in
Newsweek, November 22, 2004