Sheldon

Meridith Merck wrote:
> I'm looking for a "healthy pasta". You know, one with added

nutrition.

Meridith Merck... what a nice Profesional name... I got yer healthy
sauce, and it's a quickie...

LINGUINE WITH PUTTANESCA SAUCE

Puttanesca sauce is normally cooked, but we developed a quick and easy
version that doesn't require cooking.
Active time: 30 min Start to finish: 30 min

1 lb beefsteak tomatoes, finely chopped
1/2 cup Kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
2 tablespoons drained bottled capers, chopped
1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
1/2 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
4 anchovy fillets, patted dry and finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes
2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 lb dried linguine

Stir together all ingredients except linguine in a large bowl.

Cook linguine in a 6- to 8-quart pot of boiling salted water until al
dente. Reserve 1 cup cooking water and drain linguine in a colander.

Add hot linguine and 1/3 cup pasta cooking water to sauce and toss to
coat, adding more water if necessary. Season with salt and pepper.

Gourmet
August 2003

Sheldon