Bob (this one)

Emil Luca wrote:

> OK, what I used to clean wooden meat blocks for 25 years was wet course salt
> and a wire brush.
> Then after a good scrub you rinse the block and use a meat scraper on the
> area while it was still wet. The places I was in you would use a hose so I
> don't think you can use too much water.

Reasonably normal daily cleaning approach for meat cutting operations.

> These meat blocks were both end grain and long grain from 4 ft. square to
> 4ft by 8ft. Some of the tops had "divots" in them because you processed
> millions of pounds of the flesh of dead animals. If these holes got to bad
> the tops would be sent out to cutoff enough to get them flat again.

We used to have our tables planed like this about once a year.

> The salt helped with bacteria control and enough of an abrasive to work.
> Thank God I don't do this type of work anymore.

Understand. I don't think people understand how much work goes into
their dinners. I got out of owning and running restaurants after a few
decades, myself. There was a lot that I liked, but 90 hour weeks
wasn't on the list.

Pastorio