Lewis Perin

Default Tea pilgrimage: tiffin tryout

The day of the 20th was going to be downtime. We'd been basically
sleepless for two abbreviated timezone-shifting nights, but we were
trying to bull through it with melatonin, so we weren't going to
crumble into bed until evening.

This meant caffeine. And why not try out the tiffin? And, while at
it, why not evangelize the inlaws for good tea?

So the kit was unpacked in my brother-in-law's big apartment in a new
building on the southeastern fringes of Calcutta. Whew, nothing
broken. The inlaws sat there and politely accepted what they probably
thought absurdly small cups of multiple steeps of a couple of oolongs.
They found the tea, uh, interesting, but, even in my sleep-deprived
state, I could tell that the whole thing was a bit strange to them and
they would've preferred "normal" Indian tea.

But the tea helped keep me awake until 8 PM, after which came the
twelve-hour conk-out to prepare me for the first really important tea
event of the trip.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /