Roy

D. Cook wrote:
> I've tried the cinnamon raisin bread recipe from "Classic Sourdoughs"
> twice now, and had problems both times. The first time I thought it
> wasn't rising because the crust got too hard, so I took precautions
> this time and made sure the loaves rose in a nice humid environment

and
> the crust never toughened - still no dice.
>
> Wake up the starter - whoosh! It's fully active and doubled in less
> than 6 hours.
>
> Do the first proof - whoosh! It doubled in less than two hours.
>
> Do the second proof - whoosh! It also doubled in less than two

hours.

> Added in the ingredients - basically, flour, salt, sugar, milk,
> raisins, and cinnamon - pfft, nothing happened at _all_ after over

4.5
> hours.
>
> Does cinnamon kill yeast??

The essential oils of cinnamon had an inhibitory effect on yeast
activity. The molecule cinnamic aldehyde had similar action to phenol
for its antiseptic property on some microbes.
The rule in applying cinnamon to bread is to increase the amount of
yeast often double the amount originally used; sometimes even more in
some cases.
Therefore ,If you are using sourdough starter, you will have to
increase the quantity ( starter)in relation to the dough flour for
better performance while reducing the added dough water to compensate
the increased amount of moisture of more starter usage ), give it more
bulk fermentation etc.
But....even with these modification the bread volume is still not as
good as the cinnamon free sourdough.
Now If your intention is to make a really good cinnamon bread; use
bakers yeast instead of the sourdough starter.The compressed yeast is
better to use than the rapid rise yeast( in my experience).
The cinnamon ( specially if used in higher quantities) tends to mask
the subtle flavors of natural sourdough: so it defeats the purpose in
getting the best of both worlds; the appealing aromatic flavor of
cinnamon and the desirable taste of natural yeast leavened bread.
I don't know how how this sensory quality affect your perception of
your breads.
Many People have different taste preferrence anyway.
Roy