Katra

In article >,
Kenneth > wrote:

> On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 09:01:56 -0500, "Bob (this one)"
> > wrote:
> >
> >Did you see anywhere above where I said that food oils - not just
> >vegetable - are prevented from becoming rancid?
> >
> >Perhaps your immersion in the theoretical has overwhelmed your
> >capacity for pragmatism. Perhaps you think that history started when
> >mineral oil became a commodity. I cited why I state that the food oils
> >don't become rancid, the conditions under which the boards are handled
> >and the results of that handling. I offered history. I offered the
> >reasons for my skepticism. I offered a clear lack of anything to even
> >remotely support your assertion about rancidity in cutting boards.
> >
> >You have repeated the mineral oil mantra. And avoided answering the
> >question posed above: How, exactly, does one "lose the board to
> >rancidity?" For it to be credible, you have to offer a bit more than a
> >web site with bad information. A bit more than an unsupported opinion.
> >
> >In another post I said that I was in the cutting board business for a
> >couple years. I investigated very widely about the manufacturing,
> >finishing and maintenance of boards. I tested the suggestions I read
> >and heard. And I found that the old ways with wood in the kitchen
> >worked better than the cabinetmaker's way. Animal fats are wonderful.
> >Food oils are grand. Those oils with wax melted into it is yet more grand.
> >
> >And, sure, mineral oil can work, too. But it's not something most
> >people have on hand and it's simply not necessary. It's rather more
> >expensive than soybean or canola oil.
> >
> > >(Or do you
> >> believe that characteristic of vegetable oil to be a myth as
> >> well.)

> >I believe that you think you've imparted great wisdom - that you
> >picked up and dropped in here without questioning it. Copied from
> >others who also don't know anything much empirical information about
> >how cutting boards work.
> >
> >Explain how one can "lose a board to rancidity." Give me the name of
> >one person who has lost a board to rancidity. Tell me how long a board
> >with food oils on it will go before getting rancid. Show me one
> >reliable source that has an example of a board lost to rancidity. Back
> >up what you're saying with something a bit more concrete than "I said so."
> >
> >Pastorio

> Hi Bob,
>
> I have not had the problem on cutting boards, but have with
> wooden spoons. The oil on then has become rancid leaving the
> spoon with a terrible taste that I could not eliminate.
>
> That's why I switched to mineral oil, and suggest it to
> others.
>
> All the best,

Why did you oil your wooden spoons? ;-o

I've had mine for years and do nothing with them for maintenance other
than keep them clean......

They are fine. One is a bit ragged from being used in the blender by my
dad, but that's about it. ;-)

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

There is no need to change the world. All we have to do is toilet train the world and we'll never have to change it again. -- Swami Beyondanada