aem

Richard M. Kennedy wrote:
> I just bought a cast iron skillet because of its suitability for
> recipes in which the covered skillet goes directly from the stove top
> into the oven.

Good idea. They're also great for fried chicken and a lot of other
things that want a pan that holds heat well.

> Has anyone used both iron and glass lids for such recipes and
> actually seen a substantial difference in cooking performance?

I've used both and have not seen a difference. If it were a dutch oven
and you wanted to invert the lid and put coals in it, then you'd want
iron.

> [snip]...might, for instance, the iron lid radiate more heat than
> glass, thus promoting significantly greater browning of the top of
> the food?

I don't think browning the top is a function of the lid. Either you've
browned all sides by turning the contents, or you leave the lid off to
let the oven heat brown the top.

> Or in maintaining moisture, might how close the lid fits to the
> skillet ... be more important than what the lid is made out of?

Yes, that sounds right to me.

> [snip]
> What range of oven temperatures do most covered-skillet oven recipes
> fall in? What is highest oven temperature likely to be called for in
> a recipe with the lid on?

Dunno, but it's unlikely to matter to the question at hand. The
"glass" lids are tempered (don't know if that's an accurate word) to
handle significant heat.

> I notice utensils are turning up in stores now with silicon handles
> and knobs that are claimed to be oven-safe. [snip]

Sorry, I know even less about silicon than about iron.

-aem