Hahabogus

Arri London > wrote in
:

> zxcvbob wrote:
> >
> > Curly Sue wrote:
> > > On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 15:07:52 -0600, zxcvbob

> > > Here's one a former roommate (Japanese) used to make:
> > >
> > > Almond Jelly
> > > ****************************
> > > 1 stick agar-agar
> > > 3 c water
> > > 1 c sugar
> > > 1/2 c evaporated milk
> > > 1/2 tsp almond extract
> > > canned fruit with syrup
> > >
> > > Boil water. Add agar and stir until dissolved. Stir in sugar.
> > > Through a strainer, pour into a flat container. Add evaporated
> > > milk, stirring constantly. When slightly cool mix in the almond
> > > extract. Refrigerate. When it is set, cut into diamond shapes,
> > > about 3/4" on all sides.
> > >
> > > Serve with the canned fruit.
> > > http://users.rcn.com/sue.interport/food/almjelly.html
> > >
> > > Sue(tm)
> > > Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

> > Do you know how many grams "1 stick" of agar is? I bought a 25
> > gram packet of powdered agar-agar. The only directions on it in
> > English says, "mix 1 gm of agar agar powder with 120 gm of boiling
> > water include sugar"
> >
> > Thanks, regards,
> > Bob

> Typically one stick of agar is about two or three ounces; will gel
> two or three cups of liquid. Your 25 gm pack of powdered agar should
> gel about one to two cups of liquid.

According to my Chinese cookbook

1/4 oz or 7 grams is mixed with 6 cups water and 1 cup sugar,bring to a
boil reduce to a simmer and stir til it all dissolves...let stand 1/2
hr...add 3/4 cup evaporated milk, 1 tbsp almond extract.. then pour in
bowls and refridgerate till set...serve with a can of mixed fruit.

serves 6

more agar may be used for a harder set.

So my guess is using more than 1/2 oz or 14 grams at a time with about 7
cups of liquid would be overkill. Doing the math.... 1 to 2 grams agar
per cup of fluid to get jello.

Type 2 Diabetic 1AC 5.6mmol or 101mg/dl
Continuing to be Manitoban