Charlotte L. Blackmer

In article >,
> wrote:
>OK, I will confess. I am an older bachelor, and a lousy cook. But
>there is at least partially a good reason I am a lousy cook. The
>reason is that I never have the right ingredients. For example, I
>bought a box of that Zatarins (sp?) rice mix. I get home and find
>that it needs to be mixed with a can of diced tomatoes. I dont have
>any canned tomatoes..... I live in a rural area, and the nearest
>grocery store is 6 miles away, so I am not driving all the way to town
>just to get a can of tomatoes. Heck, by the time I burn up all that
>gas, if I get to town, I'll eat at a fast food restaurant and probably
>save money, not to mention eating better tasting food.

Well, I guess you could eat off the dollar menu.

>My question is this: How does anyone know how to have the right
>ingredients at home,

Read the box, and see below.

>or do all the good cooks go to the store at least
>3 times a day? I guess the other option would be to buy a few cans,
>jars, and boxes of every product sold in a grocery store,

Nope, the other option, the one that most savvy home cooks employ, is to
stock their pantry with canned and dry goods. I have several kinds of
tomatoes, cooked beans, and broths available, as well as a variety of
seasonings. I also stock up on cans of chicken and tuna. I have dry rice
and beans. I have some canned soups around for quick meals (I stock up
on Progresso when it is on sale).

So what is more likely is that I would be out of plain canned tomatoes and
only have tomatoes-with-chiles left, which would not suit the dish.

(I also have a supply of things I personally like.)

I was taught this by my mother, but most mixes should have "what to cook
this with" on the outside of the box.

Get a very-basic beginner cookbook (pictures are good!) that has advice
on pantry and equipment stocking. "Cooking for Dummies" is good; others may
have other recommendations.

>So, what do you people really do? Do you actually read these entire
>boxes while you are in the grocery store,

Absolutely, yes! It bites to get home and find that I don't have
<whatever>.

>and make lists and fill out
>plans and menus for the week, etc etc???

I cook one or two things in "family sized" quantities (whole chicken,
entire recipe of soup, etc.) and eat off it for a while. If I don't take
my lunch in to work, I don't always get to eat due to my schedule. So I
am highly motivated to feed myself. I do try to think ahead at least a
couple of days.

I do make lists. Otherwise I forget things.

>This may be fine for a
>housewife that has nothing more to do, but I am just not all that
>serious, nor interested in cooking. When I buy a box of something
>that is meant to be made into a meal, I expect EVERYTHING to be in
>that box, except the water and maybe some oil or milk. (I always have
>oil and keep powdered milk for those occasions). Unfortunately it
>dont work that way.

That is correct. Most assume "kitchen basics" - canned tomatoes,
broth, eggs, and the like. Even the stuff that is supposed to be
all-inclusive usually tastes better with some doctoring.

>If I need a cup of chicken, what am I supposed to
>do with the rest of that chicken.......????

Put it in the fridge and eat it the next day.

Or just get cans of chicken. But a roast chicken is a glorious thing.
You might be able to get rotisserie chicken at your supermarket to
start you off, but it's also easy-peasy to make at home and I find it
gives me More Bird for the Buck.

Charlotte