Emery Davis

On 4 Mar 2005 09:15:58 -0800, "Dan The Man" > said:

[]
]
] I don't have any stats for you Timothy, but I have noticed that my
] local state-owned store has fewer "everyday" French wines than it used
] to. And I live in a "blue" state (Pennsylvania).
] I won't touch the politics of the boycott with a ten-foot pole. I did
] that last summer already, and it started a major flame-fest!
] As for the article itself, I suppose the writer may have been limited
] by space, a tight deadline, or (possibly) an anti-boycott editor. Mere
] speculation on my part.
]

I meant to post this article before. It states that '04 sales of french
cheese in the US is up 20% over 03, champagne up 4.5%

www.iht.com/articles/2005/02/06/news/ties.html

I don't think the boycott is anything more than a media issue. The
consumer issue has to do with IMHO varietal labeling more than
anything else. Also "new world" style wines in general seem
well suited to "new world" cuisine, (vastly generalizing I know!)
with its bold flavours. (FYI I'm an american, and I like "new world"
cuisine a lot, even if my tastes in wine run towards the old world.)

It is typically french to throw out everything good and emulate
the market success of another rather than trying to stand and build
on ones own strengths. In my view oak chips and over extraction
are not the answer. Quality and traditional methods, with more
transparence and simpler labeling are...

-E
--
Emery Davis
You can reply to