Bill Loftin

joseph b. rosenberg wrote:
> When Parker came on the scene in
> the US there was Jerry Mead, the guys doing the Connoisseurs Guide and the
> San Diego now California Grapevine all independent as far as I know.

Most of those guys lived on donated wine and that is why I dropped my
subscription to Connoisseurs Guide because they constantly tasted wines
that were not sold. I had some association with Les Amis du Vin at one
time and many cases of wine arrived each month free.

> Then came 1982 Bordeaux and Parker took a
> completely different position on it from the most major writers who were
> still pushing the weak assed 80's and 81s sitting in their friends shelves
> and warehouses. These wines from 1982 were very Californian in style as a
> new generation of winemakers took over from the previous generation. Voila!
> lawyers. accountants, doctors and dentists started coming out of the
> woodwork waving Wine Advocates in their hands wanting 1982 futures because
> their Ralph Nader, Robert Parker Jr., was their kind of guy; down to earth,
> chatty and blunt.

I think he brought a second revolution to California in 1982 also by high
lighting all the highly extracted wines of that vintage.