Dick Adams

"Charles Perry" > wrote in message =

> ... Ovens that inject steam are just trying to simulate the baking
> environment of a brick or earthen oven where the steam is
> retained from the baked goods because of limited venting.

A bit more than that, I think. If there is enough of it, of adequate
quality, a thick layer of gelled dough is created, and the edges
of the slashes can be seen to melt so they become round.
Subsequent baking can then yield a very substantial chewiness
at the surface.

I was able to approach that result by means of the "frying pan trick",=20
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3DFBMv8.33991$Rw2.2561012@bgtnsc05-n=
ews.ops.worldnet.att.net
but the procedure for that is awkward, to say the least.

With regard to the "pressure cooker trick", for which Kenneth is the
primary proponent, I have proposed that Kenneth compare the=20
results obtainable with (1) his ordinary kitchen-range oven, (2) the=20
same humidified with the plumbed pressure cooker, and (3) his
Bongard with steam, and publish those results as a web page with
photos, or at least an r.f.s. post with photo links.

(As is clear by now, Kenneth is not able, for unknown reasons,=20
to rise to that challenge.)

As far a cloches are concerned, it seems to me that they should
be hot to start, which, if true, would entail some risk, well, in my
hands, anyway.

--=20
Dick Adams
<firstname> dot <lastname> at bigfoot dot com
Sourdough FAQ guide at=20
http://www.nyx.net/~dgreenw/sourdoughfaqs.html