anon k

Eric Jorgensen wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 08:56:47 -0700
> Mike Avery > wrote:
>

>>While baking soda and acid mixes will lose their "oomph" when stored,
>>double acting baking powder typically will not, as it is activated by
>>heat.

> Partially.
>
> Baking powder *is a baking soda and acid mix, of a sort. 'double acting'
> means that some of the acid doesn't start to react until heated.
>
> <soapbox>
>
> Sulfates, on the other hand, are extremely bitter and i prefer to avoid
> them in lightly flavored items such as scones, biscuits, pancakes, waffles,
> and some cakes. For better flavor, avoid aluminum sulfate baking powder.
> Aluminum phosphate will have similar fridge performance. Calcium phosphate
> won't.
>
> </soapbox>

Acid phosphates give a texture that doesn't match good old-fashioned
baking, if that's what you grew up with. Nothing beats the texture of
tartaric acid in my opinion! No one seems to sell it commercially
because it's single-acting, and because it cakes so easily. Most people
these days don't have much patience for either. In the good old days,
it was dispensed from little barrels that could be tumbled to break up
the lumps.

But if you're happy with the acid phosphate texture, you've nothing to lose.