Dutch

"Scented Nectar" > wrote in message
>> > No one's made the conclusion that it's lack of
>> > need means immorality.

>> Pay attention to vegetarian rhetoric, it is frequently argued that

> since we
>> don't *need* meat then therefore we *should not* consume it. I don't

> have a
>> quote, but I'd bet money that you have said that yourself.

> No I haven't. It's a ridiculous statement. I
> don't need rolled oats, does that mean I
> should not have them?
>
> No veg*n that I've ever known thinks that
> not a need = should not eat.

Here are just a few examples where vegans play the "need card", sometimes
they play it through the back door by claiming that critics are saying
people need meat then disputing it.

http://articles.animalconcerns.org/arman/arman_s1.html
We have no need and therefore no right to cause them suffering and death

http://www.vegetarianteen.com/books/dontneedmeat.shtml
That one is right in the url.

http://www.thisiscool.com/mohan/arintro.html
My reasons for turning vegetarian, which still holds true today, is the
conviction that:
our bodies don't need meat and therefore,
it is unnecessary to take the life of another animal for food purposes.

http://www.cultureandanimals.org/animalrights.htm
People do not need to eat animals in order to help the homeless, for
example, any more than they need to use cosmetics that have been tested on
animals in order to help children.

http://www.newint.org/issue215/prime.htm
EAT producers spend a lot of money telling you how much you need meat. They
need to - because a growing body of medical evidence is stacked against
them. Meat is not only unnecessary in a healthy diet but a hazardous extra.1

Here's an example where they get it right, the only one I've ever seen
http://www.animalfreedom.org/english...nt/nomeat.html
Non-valid arguments for abstaining meat
Reaction

Humans are not equipped with the dental and digestive facilities to
eat meat

(Even turned around, this argument is not valid for eating meat) a
human can digest meat well when taken in moderation

People can choose what they want to eat, animals cannot

That makes us responsible, but it is not an argument against eating
meat

Eating no meat at all is healthier

That doesn't make eating meat unhealthy

Killing animals is sad

That is a personal opinion

Animals suffer when butchered

Dying a natural death caused by disease or being taken as prey is at
least just as painful.

Humans don't need meat

Unnecessary food (for example candy) is not always unhealthy or
ethically unacceptable

There are literally thousands of such examples, in fact "We don't need it
therefore we shouldn't" is almost the vegan mantra.

>> > The immorality is
>> > seen instead in the brutal conditions and the
>> > killing of the animals.

>> That's another aspect of vegan rhetoric.

> No, that pretty much sums up the 'rhetoric'.

No it doesn't, there are several other sets of half-truths and appeals to
emotion regularly employed by vegans and ARAs. There's the environmental
ones, the health ones, to name two.