Maverick

"Lena B Katz" > wrote in message

> On Mon, 28 Feb 2005, Maverick wrote:
>
>> > wrote in message
>>> OK, I will confess. I am an older bachelor, and a lousy cook. But
>>> there is at least partially a good reason I am a lousy cook. The
>>> reason is that I never have the right ingredients. For example, I
>>> bought a box of that Zatarins (sp?) rice mix. I get home and find
>>> that it needs to be mixed with a can of diced tomatoes. I dont have
>>> any canned tomatoes..... I live in a rural area, and the nearest
>>> grocery store is 6 miles away, so I am not driving all the way to town
>>> just to get a can of tomatoes. Heck, by the time I burn up all that
>>> gas, if I get to town, I'll eat at a fast food restaurant and probably
>>> save money, not to mention eating better tasting food.

>> 6 miles is a long way?

> somehow i don't think he's as rural as he thinks he is. to me, it sounds
> like he lives just outside of Uniontown (American reference, because it's
> where i'm from ;-) )
>
>> Well, I'm a married man with a kids. We keep all kinds of staples on
>> hand
>> all the time. I figure we can whip up 3 days worth of meals with what we
>> keep on hand.

> from the stuff I keep on hand, we could eat healthily for about.... three
> months. how do you manage to keep so little on hand?

First of all, my two boys, 20 and 12, can out-eat the wife and I. Secondly,
they absolutely will not eat a meal if it doesn't have some kind of meat in
it, preferably beef. I'm going to quit counting the reasons now. The 20 yr
old will not eat soup unless it is Chili Verde or Chili Rojo stews. Now,
lets talk about the real reason I don't keep three months of food on hand.
My pantry. It's large but I have to physically climb up into it. They made
it out of the wasted space over the stairs leading down to the basement. It
is not user friendly. My kitchen. It has two roughly 3' X 3' countertops.
Seven doors on the upper cabinets and 4 doors on the lower cabinets with 5
drawers to store all our kitchen stuff so a lot of it went into the very
back of the pantry since it doesn't get used that often. I HATE MY
KITCHEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry for the rant. ;->

>> Well, I can't speak for everybody but I do read the nutritional box,
>> ingredient box, and the "how to cook" box. Once you get used to cooking
>> with good ingredients, you'll find the taste of fast-food will start to
>> taste like shit.

> the ingredient box is mostly only useful on stuff like sauces (if you're
> an "i don't like sugary sauces" person, you'll be staying away from
> teriyaki, etc.)

I'm just nosey that way. I like to see if I can figure out what makes
something and then see if I can make my own. BTW, I make a mean teriyaki
sauce!

> lena

Bret