Kenneth

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 18:21:37 -0600, Joe Doe
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Kenneth > wrote:
>

>> Just buy a bunch of firebricks. Stand them up in an arc that
>> allows for a loaf to be put in the center.

>I have always wanted to try this, where are firebricks commonly sold.
>When I looked at Home Depot and Lowes they did not seem to carry them.
>What is a good source? Do you have a rough idea how long pre heating
>time will be with this increased mass?

Hello again,

I don't know the names of these places, but they typically
sell bricks and stone etc. that is used for construction.
You might have luck looking for "bricks" in the yellow
pages. It is also likely that a sales person at a place like
Home Depot could steer you in the right direction. The
bricks you want are the sort used to build fireplaces.

Regarding time to heat: That would depend on your oven.

I used to have a Garland commercial oven. I also had a
small, circular, contact thermometer of the sort used to
measure the temperature of woodstoves. With that gadget I
could tell the temp of the bricks.

With my oven, it took about 70 minutes to get 'em up to
600F. (Also note that it is easy to heat the bricks well
above the nominal maximum of the oven.

All the best,

--
Kenneth