Joe Doe

In article >,
Kenneth > wrote:

> Just buy a bunch of firebricks. Stand them up in an arc that
> allows for a loaf to be put in the center.

I have always wanted to try this, where are firebricks commonly sold.
When I looked at Home Depot and Lowes they did not seem to carry them.
What is a good source? Do you have a rough idea how long pre heating
time will be with this increased mass?

> That provides the heated mass that we seek, costs only a few
> bucks, and can easily be removed at any time.

The folks at Fibrament (maker of substantial baking stones and supplier
of commercial hearths) seem to think the heat transfer rate is
important. and claim an optimised rate in their FAQ at:

http://www.bakingstone.com/faq.php

"For baking stones to work properly the heat must be conducted evenly.
Some baking stones conduct heat too quickly while other stones conduct
heat too slowly. FibraMent's heat transfer rate is 4.63
Btu.in/hr.sqft.?F tested to ASTM Standard C177-95. This is the ideal
heat transfer rate."

I have not yet sprung for a fibrament, but have been tempted. I have a
stone that is probably similar bought from a restaurant supply store but
is thinner than the fibrament. This synthetic stone does seem to behave
differently than a 3/4" natural stone (get a better spring despite the
decreased mass).

Roland