Fred

Default Spaghetti Sauce-Opinion Wanted

"Kswck" > wrote in message
et...
> 46 oz can tomatoe juice
> 12 oz can tomatoe paste
> 24 oz can whole tomatoes-fresh tomatoes if in season
> 2 cups onions-chopped
> 3-4 cloves garlic minced
> 6 tblsp dried parsley
> 2-3 tblsp oil
> 2-3 bls 90% ground beef
> 2-3 4oz cans mushrooms
>
> Combine oil, onions, garlic. Fry till translucent. Brown meat in separate
> pan, drain. Add everything to pot and bring to boil. Lower to simmer,
> stirring frequently. At each stir, cover the top of the pot with either
> dried basil or oregano(both home dried). An hour and a half later,
> serve-although it tastes better the next day-over pasta.
> Works well with sausage as well, if taken from the casings.

I sure would encourage you to think about using fresh ingredients. The
difference is pretty noticeable. That means fresh parsley and no canned
tomato juice. Just leave out the juice and reduce the tomato paste to a
heaping tbsp. In keeping with its Italian roots, the oil should be olive
oil and, personally, I'd leave out the hamburger.

I lived in Campana for a while many years ago and the Neopolitans sometimes
threw a hunk of pork into the tomato sauce and simmered it for hours until
the meat fell apart. You could do the same with a hunk of beef and the
results would be more satisfying than hamburger. Or you could add some
flavor with a hearty herb such as basil or maybe a little wine.

Keep experimenting. I think recipe development is one of the most
enjoyable parts of cooking. Who knows, you might come up with something
really special. All those famous pasta sauces like marinara, pesto,
carbonara, alfredo etc. came from some inventive cook experimenting in the
kitchen. Good cooking.

Fred
The Good Gourmet
http://www.thegoodgourmet.com