Alan S

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 14:22:25 -0500, "bill" > wrote:

|I found out I was a diabetic 5 years ago. ... lately I've been lurking here
|and this is a fine, helpful group.
|
|I don't see much discussion about using splenda
|
|I'd sure like to see some feedback about it
|
|Bill

Hi Bill

No real need to discuss it. It's another sweetener that you can use
quite safely, and has the added advantage of being suitable to use in
cooking.

As to taste - try them all and make your own choices. It's a matter of
taste:-) If you like seafood, google back to my recipe posted here for
"chili crab" using Splenda. I might post it again.

Unfortunately you'll find the various diabetes newsgroups "patrolled"
by anti-artificial-sweetener kooks who instantly rave on about their
"chemical" dangers; even worse can be the
anti-anti-artificial-sweetener net police who then start a raging
battle back and forth about the supposed merits and dangers of
splenda-cyclamates-aspartame-saccharine-stevia-etc-etc-etc.

Ignore them all from both sides. You can even use sugar if you're
careful about the quantity in the recipe and the portion size you eat,
but I usually choose to use splenda in cooking and aspartame in my
soft drinks. I can even get Stevia on the shelf in my health food
store in Oz, but it's very expensive so I see no point in trying it.

If you are interested in reading some more active groups, come on over
to misc.health.diabetes or the somewhat more rambunctious crowd at
alt.support.diabetes.

Cheers Alan, T2, Australia.