Doug Weller

Default Cooking prime rib, with turning oven off to cook

On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 17:42:06 -0600, Alan wrote:

> On 31 Dec 2003 22:57:13 GMT, ospam (Over40pirate)
> wrote:
>
>>I am looking for a recipe for cooking prime rib, by pre heating the oven to
>>something like 500 deg, then putting the prime rib in, and turning the oven
>>off, for a set length of time. I saw the recipe for this, but can't remember
>>the times, and temp. Any help here?
>>Thanks to all and have a happy new year, Kathy

> Why are you interested in that method?
>
> Because it's weird?

I just did a ribeye roast using a variation of this, and it was lovely and
tender and tasty.

Anyway, here's an old post about it from rec.food.recipes:

BEGIN QUOTED POST:
To everyone who has asked for a delicious way to prepare prime rib, THIS
IS IT. I have made it numerous times and have never had it turn out
less than delicious. Since rib eye roast is fairly expensive, you sure
don't want to risk it turning out blah! Prime rib with horseradish
sauce and Yorkshire pudding are a marriage made in heaven, so I've
included my favorite recipe after the Roast Beast recipe. Enjoy!

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.04

Title: Leave Me Alone Roast Beast
Categories: Company, Beef, Favorite, Lamb
Yield: 8 servings

4 lb Roast of beef
Cooking oil

MMMMM---------------------HORSERADISH SAUCE--------------------------
1 Tbsp Horseradish, prepared
1/2 cup Sour cream
1/2 cup Mayonnaise

Preheat oven [MANDATORY] to 500 F. (Yes, five hundred.) Make sure
oven reaches the full 500 F before proceeding. Coat outside of meat
with oil, be sure and coat ALL exposed parts, in creases, everywhere.
Put in cooking pan, I like one which has a grate so that the meat
doesn't sit in the juices. Cook boneless roast at 500 F for 5
minutes per pound for extremely rare, 7 minutes/lb for very rare.
For bone-in roast, use 10 minutes/lb for medium-rare.

Turn off oven. DO NOT OPEN DOOR. Go away, leave it alone for...oh
overnight, or at least several hours. You may use almost any size
roast, following the minutes/pound rule. You may also use pork, or
probably any other "roast" you wish.

Horseradish sauce: mix all ingredients well with spoon. Serve on the
side.

Joan's comments: I thought this was very strange the first time I
heard about it, but in the South, it's the only way you can have a
roast in the summer (if you don't have air conditioning). It doesn't
spoil sitting in the oven overnight. It doesn't burn by the high
heat. BTW: my child always calls it "Roast Beast" instead of "Roast
Beef", you should see the looks he gets in a restaurant. <G>

Sylvia's comments: Oh my stars! <burp> I used a rib eye roast and
let it sit about 4 hours after turning the oven off. It was
deliciously very rare, just like I like it. I used a 4 lb rib eye
roast, and generously sprinkled with salt and pepper after coating it
with oil. I served it with Yorkshire pudding and horseradish sauce
and fresh steamed cauliflower and we all ate WAY too much. Another
time, when I bought the roast at 4:30 and wanted to serve it that
night, I gave it an extra 2 minutes/lb and only let it sit 1/2 hour.
Definitely tastier if you let it sit for hours, but it was still
delicious. I also used this to roast a leg of lamb. It was
"semi-boneless" which I think was a terrible misnomer, there was a
BIG leg bone through the middle, so I gave it 10 minutes/lb and it
was a nice medium-rare.

Donald McIntire's comments: With regard to others'
questions about the rate of cool-down, I checked when I did my roast.
With an ambient temperature of about 72 F in the kitchen, one hour
after I turned the gas oven off, the temperature in the oven was
about 220 F. (I have an oven thermometer which I can see through the
door.) At two hours, it was about 175 F and at three hours it was
below 100 F.

Nutritional information per serving: xx calories, x.x
gm protein, xx mg cholesterol, xx gm carbohydrate, xx mg sodium, x.x
gm fiber, x.x gm fat, x.x mg iron, xx mg calcium, xx% of calories
from fat.

Brought to you by MMCONV and SylviaRN (at) canada
(dot) com, creator of Frazzled Cook breadmachine mixes, homepage
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/SylviaRN
From: Joan Mershon The Lunatic Fringe Bbs

Doug